Sunday 2 October 2011

Parole parole parole

An old Italian song has a woman fed up by the soft, sweet and empty words of a man.

"I can always talk my way out" someone said to me once.

"Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand" was written in a footnote of my microeconomics textbook.

What's in a word?
I use words to entertain people with stories. I use words to make my point through logic. I use words to share my feelings with people who care about me (well, even if this is supposed to be a woman thing, so what?).
But I (try to) choose words carefully. After they have been spoken, words get a life of their own, they have consequences.

"If you did not exist, one should invent you", "Moonlight and violins I hear with you" said the man in the Italian song. "I love you" is a very easy thing to say if words do not weigh much.
And lies are not lies anymore, perhaps, and they won't hurt anymore.

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less". Was Lewis Carroll describing not an absurd but the reality? 

But the woman in the song is fed up by now: "Your moonlight and violins just keep me awake when I want to sleep". Empty words do not weigh much indeed. Cheap talk just became too cheap.
And lies will always be lies and will always hurt someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment