Monday 6 January 2014

Epiphany in Rome

Rome has not appeared in a post for a while, despite my having been there a few times a year. Somehow it feels a little odd talking about a visit to Rome. Perhaps, it is a bit like having to figure out whether you are still in love with your ex: when in doubt, do not mention.

Yet, I did not have to figure it out: of course I am still in love with the city. And anyway, who said Rome is the past only?

Be that as it may, there you go, I am back again for a couple of days and fully sinking in the homecoming nostalgia awakened by the once familiar smell, nuance of blue of the sky, winter unexpected warmth. In fact, the sky is so blue and the sun so shiny that it feels more like March (or May, if you are in Brussels).

Yet, it is 6 January, Epiphany or la Befana, the last day of the Christmas holidays and the whole population seems to be taking a stroll in the city centre. So, it looks like I may not be able to walk through the crowds and make it to Piazza Navona today. In the meantime, the jet lag has kicked in, probably helped by those bucatini all'amatriciana flambé at Trattoria Vecchia Roma. In fact, I would not mind a nap in the sun. And as always I would not mind staying here a bit longer. But my plane leaves tomorrow morning early and the show must go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment