Monday 27 June 2011

Sun beach

I can stand winter in the North. I don't mind its being cold, rainy, snowy, whatever. It's winter, let it be so.
It's summer the hard part.
When the only colour you get during a late June day is a uniform shade of grey, when you still need a scarf and can profitably use a pair of boots, when you decide to turn back on the heater, well, then it's too much to handle. Someone used to call me "my southerner" and knew very well what it means for my mood.

But sometimes, out of nowhere, when you are not waiting for it anymore, and not hoping either, it suddenly happens. The grey sky opens up and the (slightly pale) northern sun comes to pierce the unexpected blue above you.
And suddenly it's too hot for your jacket, it's too bright for your eyes, it's too nice for staying in a city who doesn't even know what to do with it.
And so, off you go. Huge empty beaches, boats at the horizon and a promenade of cafés and blondish, pale-gone-pink people. Not "my" sea, not "my" people, not "my" cafés, yet Nieuwpoort was a very nice surprise. And the ice-cream with fruit salade was on the menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment