Saturday 21 April 2012

One year later in Florence


One year has gone by and I am back in tourists' dream city, only to find out that not much seems to have changed.

Hotel is the same, tourists are the same, my lecture is the same, the beautiful golden series "Calla" on Ponte Vecchio still for sale. Even my wallet empty and me in urgent need of an ATM, exactly like last year.

One again, easy to see why Florence has become the jewel so many people dream of. So much art everywhere, so easy to manage, so great that "typically Italian atmosphere" (whatever it is exactly).

And Florence obliged: everyone speaking English, filtered coffee at breakfast, cappuccino after lunch. And once again, like a year ago, beautiful but not my dream. Regardless my teenage memories of the endless queues at the Uffizi, of the shining green of the Boboli gardens and of the beautiful slurpy icecream, forever symbol of sweet abundance.


Nice for shopping though. And there you see that next summer will be quite colourful. Buy red or orange sandals today, never mind the pouring rain outside the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment