Sunday 10 June 2012

I remember you did not eat rice


How far can one go in Malaysia if she does not eat rice? Far, very far. And happily so.

Can you eat spicy food? Tom yam soup with sea food? Can, can.
Penang style Kway Teaw? Can, can.
Steamed pow? Chicken in Pandan leaves? Can, can.
Beef rendang? Can, can.
Red snapper or pomfret? Grilled please.


Hawker food? No hesitation!

"Shall we go eat at the American restaurant? Just to relax your stomach with western food." 
Oh, for Goodness sake, no!




My fruit chapter is quite long. Fruit whose existence I completely ignored popped up on the table, straight to my mouth: custard apple, dokong, longan, mangoustine, dragon fruit, guava. 

At the end, spoiled by superb fresh mango, coconut and water melon juice, I'm not sure I'll be able to drink anymore the stuff we sell back in Europe.


My roller coaster ride into new flavours had to stop somewhere and it did.


It stopped at the encounter with stinky Durian. The - ahem - "king of fruit" is big in Malaysia but I realised I better survive without it. And it stopped again with the Cengdol and a bunch of other gummy sweets involving the use of red beans. That far I could not go. 


Luckily, besides the Cengdol, Malacca has got unforgettable pineapple tarts. Yummi!

No comments:

Post a Comment